Testing and Assessment FAQs
What tests are required as part of the program?
- K12 lesson assessments
- K12 unit assessments
- Math and literacy benchmark testing
- K-3 Students: DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills) Testing
- Grades 3-8: PASS (Palmetto Assessment of State Standards)
- Grade 10: HSAP (High School Assessment Program)
- End of course exams for Algebra I, English I, Physical Science, and U.S. History & Constitution, which count for 20% of the course final grade
Families enrolling at SCVCS must be willing to participate in all required areas of the program.
How is student progress assessed?
The South Carolina Virtual Charter School is a mastery-based program, which means K-8 students master concepts before moving on to the next lesson. Following NCLB and state guidelines, students are expected to make at least a year's growth in a year's time. Teachers will assess mastery and provide feedback to students and families.