SCVCS School Highlights
The South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) is a virtual, tuition-free public school chartered by the The Charter Institute at Erskine in 2008. SCVCS uses the K12curriculum and patented onlinelearning program. Together, SCVCS and K12 offer a competitive, individualized kindergarten through twelfth grade school program.
Accreditation: South Carolina Department of Education
Memberships: Alliance of Public Charter Schools,
South Carolina Association of School Administrators
Enrollment: K-8 2,040; 9-12 1,901
Why a Virtual School?
Virtual schools exist to serve the students who would better thrive outside the four walls of a traditional classroom. Specific reasons why families choose a K12 education for their child:
- The student is academically advanced and the classroom pace moves too slowly.
- The student is an elite athlete or youth performer with a busy travel schedule.
- The student is homebound, undergoing medical treatment.
- SCVCS is the largest virtual public charter school in South Carolina with the enrollment of 3,941 students.
- SCVCS is in its eighth year of operation. SCVCS’s governing board consists of seven board members who meet on a monthly basis to establish policies, procedures, approve school budgets and provide oversight of the school management.
- Seventy-six percent of SCVCS’s students are Caucasian, twenty-four percent of the students are mi-nority. Forty-five percent are male and fifty-five percent are female.
- SCVCS serves students in every county in South Carolina.
- Seventy-four percent of SCVCS students previously attended a public school. Twelve percent were home schooled, fourteen percent transferred from private or other charter school, fifty-one percent are free and reduced and eleven percent are Special Needs students.
Student Academic Achievement
- 2015 Graduation rate up 7% from 2014
- 93% of seventh and eighth graders (147) enrolled in high school classes earned Carnegie credit
- SCVCS exceeded state average on ACT (all areas) and was recognized by the DOE for students scoring in the top 20% on the ACT & SAT in three consecutive years
CLASS OF 2015
- 226 students graduated from SCVCS in 2015 largest class!
- 4.6 million dollars in Scholarships were generated by the class of 2015; up from $4.2 million in 2014
- 11 Palmetto Scholarship Nominees; 72 Life Scholarship Nominees; 37 Hope Scholarship Nominees
- 82% will attend post-secondary training, 12% enter workforce and 6% enlist in the military
National Clubs @ SCVCS
- National Honor Society Charter
- National Beta Club Charter
- Mu Alpha Theta Mathematics Honor Society
- National English Honor Society
- National Science Honor Society
- National Social Studies Honor Society, Rho Kappa Alpha
- La Societe Honoraire de Francais
- Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica
- National Art Honor Society
- Tri M Music Honor Society