SCVCS School Highlights
The South Carolina Virtual Charter School (SCVCS) is a virtual, tuition-free public school chartered by The Charter Institute at Erskine in 2018. Together, SCVCS and K12 offer a competitive, tailored kindergarten through twelfth grade school program.
Accreditation: South Carolina Department of Education, AdvancEd
Memberships: NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association)
Alliance of Public Charter Schools,
South Carolina Association of School Administrators
Enrollment: K–8 2,040; 9-12 1,901
Why a Virtual School?
Virtual schools exist to serve the students who would better thrive outside the four walls of a traditional classroom. Specific reasons why families choose a K12 powered education for their child:
- The student is academically advanced and the classroom pace moves too slowly.
- The student is an elite athlete or youth performer with a busy travel schedule.
- The student is homebound, undergoing medical treatment.
2018–2019 School Year Demographics
(Some information based on parent/ student reported data)
- SCVCS is one of the largest virtual public charter school in South Carolina with the enrollment of more than 3,000 students.
- SCVCS is in its eleventh year of operation. SCVCS’s governing board consists of seven board members who meet on a monthly basis to establish policies, procedures, approve school budgets and provide oversight of the school management.
- Seventy-six percent of SCVCS’s students are Caucasian, twenty-four percent of the students are minority. Forty-five percent are male and fifty-five percent are female.
- SCVCS serves students in every county in South Carolina.
- Seventy-four percent of SCVCS students previously attended a public school. Twelve percent were home schooled, fourteen percent transferred from private or other charter school, fifty-one percent are free and reduced and eleven percent are Special Needs students.
Student Academic Achievement
- Seventh and eighth graders may be eligible to enroll in high school classes and earn Carnegie credit
- SCVCS exceeded state average on ACT (all areas) and was recognized by the DOE for students scoring in the top 20% on the ACT & SAT in three consecutive years
- Average graduating class exceeds 260 students (2015-2018)
- The 2018 graduating seniors reported being offered more than 4.6 million dollars in scholarships including Palmetto Scholarship Nominees; Life Scholarship Nominees; and Hope Scholarship Nominees in 2018
- A majority of 2018 graduates reported they will attend post-secondary training, with the remaining entering the workforce and enlisting in the military (2017-2018)
National Clubs @ SCVCS
Information about high school activities can be found on the high school blog.
- National Honor Society Charter Middle and High School
- National Beta Club Charter
- Mu Alpha Theta Mathematics Honor Society
- National English Honor Society
- National Science Honor Society
- National Social Studies Honor Society, Rho Kappa Alpha
- La Societe Honoraire de Francais
- Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica
- National Art Honor Society
- Tri M Music Honor Society